Bring a friend and share in the Joy of Creating things for others!
OK, school has started, we’re starting to get some sort-of cool nights, Fall is right around the corner! Many of us look at September as beginnings – of the school year, of new programs at church, etc. Why not invite a friend to our Crafting Workshop? They can participate, learn new things, come to watch, visit and chat!
Our Crafting Workshop is coming up on September 12th from 9:30 am to 2:00 pm. Bring all your materials and supplies, and also bring your lunch! We’re looking at the projects needing to be ready for this Fall –
** hats & scarves for our Food Pantry and several schools and organizations
** blankets for our Fall Baby Dedication and Life Centers
** pillowcases, tote bags and bookmarks for Wheeler Mission
** various items for Riverview Cancer Center
Items for Riverview Cancer Center
We’ve made chemo caps / ‘bald-headed’ T-shirt hats, shawls, laps blankets and heart pillows for Riverview Cancer Center. These are what we’re working on this month! We have the patterns for the chemo caps and heart pillows; you may use whatever pattern you would like for the shawls and lap blankets. For example, if you would like to make a really easy shawl or lap blanket, you could make one out of a piece of fleece, then fringe it!
What you need to bring:
Fabric suitable for your project:
* chemo caps: soft cotton T-shirt knit / T-shirt fabric, 2 pieces about 9 x 12 each
* Heart pillows: quilter’s cotton, T-shirt knit or fleece, around 1/2 yard, or 2 fat quarters for each pillow, plus stuffing
* shawls: cotton, flannel, T-shirt knit, fleece (one layer only), recommended size about 24″ to 30″ wide by 60″ long finished; they can also be triangular
* lap blankets: cotton, T-shirt knit, fleece (one layer only), recommended size about 40″ to 50″ wide by 60″ to 70″ long
* also bring your sewing machine, thread, rotary cutter and cutting mat
You may look at our Riverview Cancer Center page for more information. We have some materials and supplies at the church, including fabric and thread. We also have 2 sewing machines you may use.
*Important* Please pre-wash your fabrics, especially cottons, in warm water, and dry in dryer to pre-shrink! There’s nothing worse than putting all that work in a project just to have it shrink and be too small, or the colors run all over everything! (Believe me, I’ve done it!)
In worsted weight (Group 4) yarn, a total of 21-25 ounces of yarn in your choice of color(s)
Crochet hooks in size G/6, H/8, I/9, and J/10
Paper and pencil